The most important suggestion that we at Sparkle Dental Care can give - is not to worry. Parents worry enough as it is! If you are anxious about the appointment, there is every chance that your child will pick up on this fear and they too will become frightened. Just remember that our team is well trained and we will work with them; dependant on their level of comfort.
If your child is old enough to understand, avoid mentioning anything negative about the dentist and instead concentrate on building positive thoughts regarding the dentist.
What to say or do that can help promote a positive relationship with visiting the dentist:
- "You can show the dentist what a good brusher you are"
- "You'll get to go on a ride on the dental chair"
- Role play visiting the dentist (always a fun game)
What to avoid:
- Using negative motivators to get your child to brush their teeth or eat less sugary foods.
e.g - "If you don't brush your teeth the dentist is going to pull your teeth out!"
- Bribing your child: "If you are good at the dentist I will buy you a ..." Such a statement makes children question; why one would be good at the dentist and maybe there is something they need to be worried about.
- Telling your child that they are brave to see the dentist. Again this makes children question why one needs to be brave in such a situation.
There are a multitude of reasons why taking your child to the dentist early is a good idea. Prevention is always better than treating a problem later down the track. The team at Sparkle dental look forward to welcoming you and your children to our clinic. If you would like to make a booking or have further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
Until then, happy role playing!!