You Have Your Dental Implant. Now, How Do You Care for It?
One of the most significant benefits of choosing to replace your missing teeth with dental implants is that they are easy to care for. Barring any bone or periodontal disease, your dental implant can last for many decades – or even a lifetime.
We offer complete treatment for dental implants in Bayside, VIC and the surrounding areas.
How to Brush Teeth and Implants Properly
Don’t take out your stressful day on your gums. Brushing harder can actually harm your teeth. Since it is the tips of the bristles that do the work of removing food and plaque from teeth, brushing hard will counteract your best efforts. It can also cause gum recession, a form of periodontal disease.
To brush correctly, follow these steps.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Apply fluoride toothpaste
- Use the tips of the bristles to gently clean teeth
- Angle the toothbrush toward your gumline
- Use small circular motions
- Don’t forget to clean the chewing surface of teeth
- Be sure to clean behind the back teeth
- Don’t rinse your mouth immediately
It is important not to rinse the fluoride toothpaste from your teeth, especially at night. It can remain active and fight cavities after brushing is complete.
You might choose to floss before brushing and rinse after flossing to remove any residual food particles from your teeth.
Floss your teeth properly using these tips.
- Measure an adequate amount of floss
- Switch to a clean piece of floss with each tooth
- Floss on both side of the tooth with an up and down motion
- Snapping the floss quickly will not adequately clean teeth
- Be sure to floss behind teeth
- Push floss between teeth only until gums resist
- Don’t be rough
In addition to brushing and flossing your teeth, it’s essential to keep your professional dental appointments on track. In addition to an exam of your teeth, we will monitor the health of your dental implants, crowns and fillings to verify that they are still intact and functional.
Professional dental cleanings remove calculus that develops between teeth and below the gumline. No matter how diligently you brush and floss, you will still need professional dental cleanings to maintain excellent oral health.
To learn more about dental implants in Bayside, VIC, or to arrange a consultation to find out if dental implants are right for you, give us a call.