As parents, we all want the best for our kids, and we all hope for healthy happy kids. Much as you might take your child to the paediatrician for wellness checks, you should be taking your kids to the dentist twice a year for routine examinations. It’s crucial to set your kids up for good oral health from an early age.
Many parents ask their children’s dentist in Bayside, Sparkle Dental, how to best keep kids relaxed during a dental appointment to help ensure they have a pleasant experience. This is the advice we usually share with parents.
Keep Your Kids Calm Before, During and After Their Visit to the Children’s Dentist in Bayside
- Be positive and upbeat when talking to your kids about the dentist—whether you are talking about your own experience or their upcoming appointment.
- Share with your children what will happen at the dentist but be careful not to use ‘scary’ words like ‘pain’ or ‘needle.’ You might even ‘play’ dentist at home, having your kids sit in a recliner and letting them examine their teeth in a mirror.
- Take your kids to the dentist earlier rather than later. We usually like to see kids starting around the age of three. By this age, they are old enough to understand what is going on around them.
- Bring along a book or small toy to their dental appointment to help your kids feel more comfortable.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you suffer from dental anxiety, you don’t want to let your fear show to your child. You might ask a friend or a family member to accompany you to your child’s dental appointment.
Reach Out to a Children’s Dentist in Bayside
At Sparkle Dental Care, we enjoy treating kids and we know how to help ensure your children develop good oral health care habits that last a lifetime. We welcome your call to arrange an appointment.